10 Questions To Establish If My Daughter Has An Alcohol Problem
The fact that you are asking the question Does My Daughter Have A Drinking Problem? is one of the strongest indicators that her drinking has started to become a problem. The family are often the best-placed people to notice changes in her behavior and/or attitude. This change has prompted you to find out more.
The NHS uses a system called AUDIT which stands for Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test. It is a modified version of an Alcohol Harm Screening Tool developed by the World Health Organisation. Answer 10 questions and use the total score to give you a clear understanding of the risk level.
The AUDIT is shown below and is also available as a download printable document. Here are the ‘Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test’ Questions:
- How often does your daughter have a drink containing alcohol?
- How many units of alcohol does your daughter drink on a typical day when she is drinking?
- How often has your daughter had 6 or more units on a single occasion in the last year?
- How often during the last year has your daughter found that she was not able to stop drinking once she had started?
- How often during the last year has your daughter failed to do what was normally expected of her because of her drinking?
- How often during the last year has your daughter needed an alcoholic drink in the morning to get herself going after a heavy drinking session?
- How often during the last year has your daughter had a feeling of guilt or remorse after drinking?
- How often during the last year has your daughter been unable to remember what happened the night before because she had been drinking?
- Has your daughter or somebody else been injured as a result of your daughter’s drinking?
- Has a relative or friend, doctor or other health worker been concerned about your daughters drinking or suggested that she cut down?
NOTE: USE the download printable document or image below to score the AUDIT.
If you have any questions regarding how our residential alcohol treatment program may be of help to your daughter, please contact us on 01502 587269 or 07585 531322.